Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ladybug Sugar #Cookies

Last Saturday my granddaughters came for a visit.  So I planned a little tea party while they were with us.  I pulled out the tea set that I've had since I was small.  My daughter played with it and now my granddaughters and I get to play with it together.  I cut up some fruit and opened a box of Sesame Street character crackers.  Then using a few small Spring cookie cutters cut some fun shapes out of cheese.
 And last but not least, I made some sugar cookies before they arrived.   I used my heart cookie cutter and decorated them as Ladybugs.  We had two flavors of hot chocolate.  I had received a cute little paper flower favor from my friend Holly, from Holly's Stamping Addiction at her last Monthly Card Club.  So, we used that as our table centerpiece.  We had so much fun, we'll definitely do it again.  

I have listed this recipe before, but it's my favorite.
INGREDIENTS:

  • 2-1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pastel sequin shapes (for eyes)
  • black frosting (I purchased a small tube)
  • mini chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS:

1. Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Add milk, vanilla and eggs.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture, beating just until combined.  Stir in colored sprinkles for a more festive look.  Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour to make rolling easier. 



 


4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4" thickness.  Cut out desired shapes. 



5. Place 2" apart on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet. Leave plain to frost after baking. 




6. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.  Remove to wire racks to cool. 



CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
3 oz. cream cheese
1 cube margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cup powdered sugar
red coloring

Combine all ingredients.  Mix well.




Add black frosting from the smallest point of the cookie to about one third of the way up the cookie.  Add pastel sequins for the eyes.


Frost the remaining cookie with the red cream cheese frosting.  Add chocolate chips for the "spots".  Mini would work best, especially if your cookies are on the smaller size.  However, I didn't have any mini-size on hand so I used the regular size.  It worked.



If you liked this post, please vote for my blog on:




The Top 100 Mommy Blogs  TOP BLOGS BY CRAFTERS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!