Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Treat Jar


I saw a cute gum ball jar on a friend's Facebook page the other day and I couldn't resist, I had to make my own version.  This treat jar is made from a terra cotta pot and an inexpensive jar. Filled with some candy, or whatever you prefer. 


MATERIALS: 

Flower pot with drainage saucer 
Glass jar 
Paint 
Antique Matte Mod Podge 
Wood ball or knob 
Glue 
Sponge applicators or paint brush 
Ribbon 
Stencil 
Ink pad 
Sponge 
Candy (or preferred filler)
Sand paper or file


1.  If there are any rough on the flower pot and saucer, file them with sand paper or an emery board (my personal choice for small jobs).  Then glue the wooden ball to the bottom of the drainage saucer.


2. Paint the pot and saucer the color of your choice.



3. I also decided to add a coat of antique matte Mod Podge.  This step is optional.  It's hard to see in the photos the difference this made, but I thought it added just the right touch to the color.


4.  This is after the Mod Podge step.  You can see how it yellowed it out a bit along the edge.



5.  Add your stenciled word(s) to the front of the jar and using a clean sponge and your choice of ink, blot over the letters.  For the stenciled letters, you can use a Cricut or Big Shot, etc. or you can purchase them already made.  Glue your jar to the bottom of the flower pot.  Tie the ribbon around the middle.  Fill with candy and put your lid in place.  Voilà!  A fun treat jar made for only a few dollars. 




POST-Divider NAME

10 comments:

  1. Love your jar! I have a jar that would be perfect for this, just need to get some pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it up, I would love to see it. I hope you will link it up to the Creative Corner Hop once it is finished.

      Delete
  2. A truly beautiful treat jar! You did an awesome job!
    Autumn greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. This jar is adorable! I love the font you used - and how you used negative space instead of just slapping some vinyl on it!! We'll be featuring this at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so come on over if you have a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! If you get a chance, please link this to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-linky-party-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better job of these pots, than I have seen. Thank you much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeri. I love my treat jar and so do my little granddaughters! 😊

      Delete
  6. Just asking...how do you make sure the jar is sealed? Won't critters, like sugar ants, be tempted to make themselves at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW....I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!