Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Kilim Throw


While my husband was out of town last week, I visited the craft store trying to find myself a new project to keep busy.  The throw on the front of this book of afghans, Vanna's Choice--Color it Beautiful Afghans, caught my eye, so of course I had to make it.  It uses a lot of yarn, however, I didn't use as much yarn as the pattern called for, but I didn't follow the pattern in the book.  It's very thick and heavy and will make a nice cover during the colder months.  Each row is two colors of yarn, giving it a variegated look.  I made the afghan in a basic ripple.  The pattern I used is below.


TECHNIQUE:  Crochet

MATERIALS:  colors of your choice (17 colors choices, two colors for each choice) or list of colors in Vanna's Choice, Color it Beautiful Afghans

GAUGE:  crochet hook size P-15 (10mm)

PATTERN:  Kilim throw (basic ripple pattern)

With size P hook and 2 colors desired, ch 118.


Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 5 ch, 3 sc in next ch, * sc in next 5 ch, sk next 2 ch, sc in next 5 ch, 3 in next ch; rep from * ending sc in last 6 ch--9 "ripples".

Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 5 st, 3 sc in next st, *sc in next 5 st, sk next 2 st, sc in next 5 st, 3 sc in next sc; rep from* across, ending sc in next 5 st, sc2tog.

Row 3: same as row 2.  Fasten off.

Row 4: With new color, repeat row 2 for three rows until you have repeated the colors sequence through twice.  Do one final sequence in color choice # 1.  To finish of, sc down the side of the afghan and around in color choice #1, twice.  Fasten off.



Crafts2u Online Crafts Superstore

1 comment:

  1. Hi..I am planning on making Vanna's kilim throw too. I have not crocheted in years and this seems fairly easy. But what confuses me is at the end of the first row, it say -9 "ripple". I don't know what that means, could you please tell me..Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!