Monday, March 7, 2011

Let Your Sham Rock!



Spring must be getting close.  I have the remodeling bug bad.  I really want to start a new home project, however, since we (my husband & I) already have so many underway that are not complete--alas I have to be content to just do a little remodeling around here.  I hope you'll take the time to leave me your thoughts on my blog's new look.  The blog design is courtesy of Shabby Blogs and my new graphics are from Free Pretty Things For You  Everything is free at these two sites.  Thanks for your service. I love my new look.

Sunday was our family craft day.  Courtney, Amber and I got together to make us a little St. Patrick's day lawn sign.  I think they turned out pretty cute.  What do you think?
Materials list:
  Paint list
  • Autumn Leaves
  • Metallic Sahara Gold
  • Santa's Flesh
  • Pink Angel
  • Wicker White
  • Grass Green
  • Hunter Green
  • Green Forest
Wooden Oval for face 9"
Piece of wood 7" x 16" (of desired size)
Paint stir for hat brim
Green ribbon
Sharpie marker (black)
pencil
glue gun
6 2"x2" hearts (shamrocks on sign)
3 1"x1" hearts (shamrocks of hat)
1 5/16" button (for nose)
pipe cleaner (green or brown--shamrock stem)
vinyl (for lettering)
Cricut machine




Various wooden pieces needed.  My husband used a paint stirrer stick for the hat band and then a cut a small square from the end for the buckle.  I had him keep the end that dipped in because I liked it.  I thought that would make a good spot to put the shamrock on the hat. 


Wooden pieces laid out prior to painting.

Paint the following pieces and allow to dry before adding a second coat.  
  1. Sign green forest.  Hearts grass green.  Decorate the hearts as you wish.  We all did our different.   
  2. The hat band black.  The inside of the buckle grass green and and the outside stripe with the metallic gold.  Remember to add the little stud that comes through the hole. 
  3. The top of the oval needs to be based in black. Inside of the oval paint with Santa's flesh and use the Autumn leaves for the beard on the outside edge.  Paint the nose piece pink angel. Also use the pink angel for the cheeks.  Black for the eyes and Autumn leaves for the eyebrows if you choose to put them on.
  4. Use Santa's flesh for the wavy lines in the beard.  And a black sharpie marker for the detail on the buckle, around the beard and shamrocks.
  5. Secure the oval in the middle of your sign with hot glue.  Add a strip of green ribbon for the hat band. With hot glue, secure the brim of the hat just below the hat band.  Glue the buckle into place on the hat band.  Make your shamrock from the 3 small hearts and secure to the hat band.
  6. Glue the nose into place.
  7. Make shamrocks from the 6 larger hearts and glue into place on the sign.  Add a stem with the pipe cleaners.
  8. Using the Cricut machine, cut your words out of the vinyl.  Place them on your sign.
  9. Using a clear coat varnish, spray the entire sign to protect it from the weather.
  10. Tie a cute bow around the stake of the sign.







Mine


Amber's


Courtney's

Finished project!

34 comments:

  1. You have a great blog. I am a new follower from the blog hop network. Hope you will do the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found your blog--I need all the help I can get being crafty! And thanks for the links for the free blog stuff. I'm your newest follower from MBC. I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea! Found you on MBC.
    Jess
    www.jessmead.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following back from Measuring Flower and the Blogger Bug. Thanks for following me! Cute project, btw! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm following now. Thank you for stopping by and following. Very cute idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute. Im a new follower from the MMBH, sorry for being a day late.
    Stop by soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute and easy! And I love that you used the Cricut. I have one but don't use it much cuz I don't know what to use it for besides making cards. Following back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just found your blog and wanted to let you know that I am a new follower! :) love your blog!Erin

    www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just too adorable! I do wish I was born with the crafting gene.

    Thank you for participating in my Get Wired Wednesday Blog Hop. I am following your blog.

    Vickie
    http://victoriasvoice44.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Tut...........I love craft blogs and that leprechaun is too cute!! I can't wait to browse your blog to see what you have for Easter.

    Thank you for joining us on Wednesday’s I ♥ Blogging Hop #4, I am your newest follower. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute!!!

    Hello. I am a New Follower from MWBH. Have a great day!!

    Sarah

    http://www.sarahsblogoffun.com/2011/03/take-three-tuesday-blog-hop_07.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! Thanks for sharing!

    Thank you so much for joining our I love blogging blog hop! I am following you, I hope you have time to stop by www.mooseandtater.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sooo cute! I've saved you to my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shamrock! I love them :D
    I'm a new friend to your blog from Makobi Scribe's Weekend hop! Hope you enjoy the rest of your week :)

    http://lean-soldier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I'm hitting the blog button and will link for you tomorrow. I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Following back from Mommy's Peanut Gallery :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too Funny! I am a new follower thru GFC. I am also new to blogging with a little more than 2 months on me so I may make a mistake here and there. I learn a little every day. I would greatly appreciate a follow back. Keep crafting away because we need people who work with their hands. I only wish I had some talent!

    Mary@http://mmbearcupoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! Thanks for joining the hop at Totally Temberton. I hope you'll stop by again on Friday and link up in my Frugalista Fridays blog hop. Your craft tutorials are perfect for it! :)

    http://www.totallytemberton.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too Cute love your site!!! From MBC please follow.
    http://icandyapples.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely craft idea!
    Following from the blog hop. Hope you can return the follow:
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the follow. I need to find the time to do some crafts. I look forward finding fun things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is very cute! You have a fun blog! Following you back.
    http://frugalfunchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for following Money Savvy Mama, I now following you too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very Cute! thanks for following praisesofawifeandmommy.blogspot.com

    i am following back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Too cute!

    Thanks for following. I am following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute! Thanks for following Mommy Time Out

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there! Awesome handcrafts blog you have there. I love it!

    Following you from Blog hop. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Awesome project.
    following you back, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so cool! :D Thanks for following me. I'm returning the favor. :D

    Roller Coaster Ride

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are so creative! Im jealous! THank you for stopping by my blog and following! I am returning the follow and would love for you to come back as often as you like! Have a wonderful day! xoxo
    -Ashley
    All that Glitters: Girly Fashion Trends

    All that Glitters Facebook

    All that Glitters Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cute! following back

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's too cute! I am following back!

    Brandy
    http://www.NewlyCrunchyMamaOf3.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is super cute! I wanted to post earlier about it but I have been under the weather with migraines. Hopefully I can pop in next week & link up with you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!