Monday, August 23, 2010

Granny Square Afghan


Although I really hate making afghans that have to be put together (I dislike weaving in all the ends), I made this one so I could use up some of my scrap yarn.  I'm going to give it to my granddaughter for Christmas.  




TECHNIQUE:  Crochet
MATERIALS:  assorted colors of your choice
GAUGE:  crochet hook size G
PATTERN:  Granny square afghan


With size G hook and color desired, ch 4.  Sl st in beg ch to form ring.


Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout) 2 dc in ring.  *Ch 3, 3dc in ring, rep from * 3 times; ch 3, sl st into top of beg ch to join. Turn.

Row 2: (Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in same sp *ch 1 (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch3-sp, rep from * ch 1, end with sl st into top of beg ch. Turn.


Row 3: (Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 3) in same sp, *ch 1, 3 dc in next ch1-sp, ch 1 (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch3-sp, rep from * ch 1, end with sl st into top of beg ch. 

Rep row 3 increasing 1 dc group every row on each side until desired size is reached. 

To finish off, sew squares together using whip stitch.  With color of your choice, attach yarn with sl st in any ch 3 sp and repeat row 3 a few of times until you have reached desired dimensions.  Fasten off.


Abbreviations:
beg=beginning
ch=chain 
ch1-sp=chain 1 space
ch3-sp=chain 3 space
dc=double crochet
rep =repeat
sl st=slip stitch
st=stitch 







Crafts2u Online Crafts Superstore

1 comment:

  1. I made my first Granny Afghan with scraps about a month ago. It is a pain weaving in the ends but I love doing the squares, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!