Saturday, April 17, 2010

Crocheted Baby Hats

My son and daughter-in-law are expecting their second child in August--another girl! :) We are so excited for her to join our family. So in expectation of her arrival I have been busy crocheting a few things for the new little one.


I found one pattern that I liked. You can find the pattern here: bevs-bumpy-hat I used cotton thread instead of yarn and decorated it with ribbon and a bright daisy.




But I didn't want all of them to look the same and be so thick. However, I couldn't find a pattern I liked or that made sense to me. So, I sat down to create my own. Hopefully, I've done a better job at translating the pattern onto paper.





UPDATE: When I found out my co-worker Erik and his wife Tiffani were expecting their first baby, I instantly asked my mom to get busy making them one of her adorable baby hats. (I unfortunately got the short end of the stick when it comes to my mothers amazing knitting/ crocheting skills, although her and my Gammie have tried numerous times to help me catch on to it!) Well their beautiful daughter Chloe was born and they were kind enough to send me a picture of her modeling the hat. If you ask me I think she is a natural in front of the camera. Chloe you look "Fierce!!" ~Courtney





CROCHETED BABY HATS



TECHNIQUE USED: Crochet

MATERIALS: Cotton crochet thread, size 3 weight

GAUGE: Size 3.5mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain measurement desired for child.




-->


HAT

With size 3.5mm hook and color desired, ch 4. Sl st in beg ch to form ring.

Row 1: ch 3 (counts as one dc) 13 more dc around ring. Tch. Total st=14

Row 2: 2 dc in ea st around. Tch. Total st= 28

Row 3: *1 dc in first st, 2 dc in next st, rep from * around row. Tch. Total st= 42

Row 4: *1 dc in first two st, 2 dc in next st, rep from * around row. Tch. Total st=56

Row 5: * 1 dc, ch 1, sk dc, 2 dc in next st, ch 1, sk next st. rep from * around row. Tch.


Row 6: Same as row 5 (alternating 2 dc into the top of 1 dc st of previous row.) Tch.

Row 7: 1 dc in ea st around. Tch. Total st=56

Row 8: *1 dc, ch 1, sk next dc, rep from * around row. Tch.

Row 9: rep row 8. Tch.

Row 10: 1 dc in ea st around. Tch. Total st= 56

Row 11: rep row 8. Tch.

Row 12: rep row 8. Tch.

Row 13: rep row 10. Tch. Total st= 56

Row 14: rep row 8. Tch.

Row 15: rep row 8. Tch.

Row 16: sc in ea st around. Tch. Total st= 56

Row 17: rep row 16. Tch.

Row 18: rep row 16. Tch. Finish off.



For a scalloped edge on Row 17: *sc in first st, hdc in same st, sk next st, rep from * around row. Finish off.



You can decorate these little hats lots of different ways. I have done tulle flowers, ribbons, crocheted hearts, fake and crocheted flowers and even created a little cupcake design to match a cute onsies we purchased. Let your imagination go crazy and have fun.








Abbreviations:
beg=beginning
ch=chain
ch3-sp=chain 3 space
dc=double crochet
hdc=half double crochet
hk=hook
lp=loop
rep =repeat
RS=right side
sc=single crochet
sk=skip
sl st=slip stitch
st=stitch
tch=turning chain




BabyAge.com



pattern for personal use only
copyright© 2010 by author

1 comment:

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!