Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tasty Tuesday--Carrot Shaped Crescents filled with Chicken Salad

I found these on Pinterest a while ago and they looked so much fun.  The original is posted on my Pinterest Easter board  (and probably all over Pinterest--they're very popular).  When I checked out the instructions (at the last minute) I didn't have the cream horn mold needed to wrap the dough around.  Why I didn't check it out sooner so I could have gone out and purchased them, I don't know...anyway at that point I improvised.  I did that more than once in this recipe.   :)





Start with one tube of Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations Crescent Seamless Dough Sheet (or puff pastry sheets, or crescent rolls and then pinch all the seams together--this is definitely the harder way).

Whisk 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water to make an egg wash.  Unroll your dough sheet and cut the dough lengthwise into 6 equal strips.  Brush one strip with egg wash.

Roll the strip into a long log--17" to 18".  Continue brushing egg wash onto wash dough strip before rolling each into logs.  Create 6 logs.

This is where I had to get creative.  In the original recipe, you are supposed wrap one dough log around each cream horn mold, keeping the seam side against the metal.  Be sure your dough does not hang over the open end of the mold, because it will make it difficult to remove after it's baked.

I didn't have any of these molds, so now what to do?  I open my pantry and began searching for something and came out with a box of ice cream sugar cones.  I figured it was worth a shot.  :)  I wrapped each cone with a piece of parchment paper and then followed the instructions above.



Squeeze about 30 drops of yellow food coloring into a small bowl.  Add one or two drops of red.  Stir to create orange.  Brush the coloring over each carrot shape dough.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Set carrots on lined baking sheets.  Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes turning halfway through.  Allow to cool for about five minutes before removing from the molds.



Fill with your favorite filling, and add a sprig of greenery in the top.  I used celery, but I think the original recipe called for fresh parsley or something.  I included the recipe for the chicken salad filling we used to fill them below.


Chicken Salad Filling:

1 1/2 cup vegetarian chicken, chopped
1/2 cup vegetarian mayonnaise
1 medium celery stalk, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix all ingredients.  Fill cones.  And voilĂ ! Sandwiches shaped like a carrot for your Easter Brunch.


Note:  We use vegetarian products, but if that is not your thing, just replace those products with regular chicken and Mayonnaise.  




POST-Divider NAME

2 comments:

  1. These look so delicious! I like your ice cream cone idea as I have no cream horn molds either and I want to make some of these for Easter.
    Holly
    Holly's Stamping Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I haven't seen this on Pinterest but I love your improvisations and they turned out fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!