Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tomato-Herb Focaccia

Oops! I hadn't realized this had been posted until I popped onto the computer this morning. I guess I was distracted when I exited last night, because I thought I had just saved this as a partial post, not actually published it. 

So last week while my husband and I were out one evening our 10 month old puppy, Mr. Peabody, decided I needed an open-toe pair of boots.  He literally chewed off the toe of my suede boots.  This dog is the most destructive little animal I've ever come across.  In fact, I've nick-named him Destructo because of all the property he has destroyed, too much to begin to name here.  But my husband absolutely loves him and I keep holding out hope that he will get better once he gets older.  I've included a picture of him, although it is a few months old.  He's bigger than this now.

Ingredients:

  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • Dash pepper
  • 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 small can chopped olives
Directions:

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon oil, salt, sugar, garlic powder, herbs, pepper and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

3. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle; place on a greased baking sheet (as you can plainly see, I shaped mine as a pizza). Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough.
4. Brush dough with remaining oil; arrange tomatoes and olives over the top. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi there, I am your newest GFC and Facebook follower here via A Helicopter Mom's Alexa Hop, from Couponing From Florida to Michigan. I would love a follow back.

    http://couponingfromfl2mi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks tasty!

    Stopping by from the Alexa Stop Hop Drop. Thanks for visiting!

    Greta
    How Was Your Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks tasty!

    Stopping by from the Alexa Stop Hop Drop. Thanks for visiting!

    Greta
    How Was Your Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I'm following you from the Whimsical Wednesday blog hop! I'm following you through GFC, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

    I hope you have a great rest of your week!

    Much Love,
    Courtney
    www.peaceloverecipes.com

    P.S. This makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you back via GFC :)

    That bread looks awesome!
    www.mylittlelilybud.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy. I'm following you back from the Monkey Monday hop.

    Thanks for the follow

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog from the Monday Monkey Hop :) I'm following you as well, and this post.. YUM! I think I'm going to put this on my list of recipes to try.

    www.hellodawls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, that looks delicious! Your newest follower, Karima www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, this focaccia looks delicious!

    Stopping by and following from the Six in the Nest blog hop!

    Sue (aka Cookie's Mom)
    http://cookieschronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!