Monday, June 11, 2012

#Crocheted Flapper Hat


While I was off work recuperating from surgery a few weeks ago, I knew I would need some projects I could do while I was down.  I found this easy hat pattern at my local Michaels store one afternoon.  Since, I already had all the materials at home and the pattern was free, it was perfect!  I made a few changes-
-the hook size to size it a bit smaller for my granddaughter.  Then instead of attaching the back brim up with a button and button loop, I made a cute daisy and sewed the brim up to give it a younger look.  You can see the original pattern here.

MATERIALS LIST:

Color A=1 ball yarn your choice of color
Color B=yellow for center of daisy
Color C= white for daisy
Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9] and 5mm [US H-8]
Stitch Markers
Yarn Needle
One 1/2" Diameter Button

FLAPPER HAT PATTERN:
With the smaller hook and color A, ch 54 (60, 66), slip st in first ch to form ring. Place marker for beginning of round. 
 
Round 1: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), hdc in each ch around, slip st in top of beginning ch to join. 

Rounds 2-4: Ch 2, hdc in each st around, slip st in top of beginning ch. 

Rounds 5-8: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), dc in each st around, slip st in top of beginning ch. 

Round 9: Ch 2, hdc in each st around, slip st in top of beginning ch. 

Round 10: Ch 2, hdc in next 4 sts, skip next st, [hdc in next 5 sts, skip next st] around, slip st in top of beginning ch – 45 (50, 55) sts. 

Rounds 11-13: Ch 3, dc in each st around, slip st in top of beginning ch. 

Round 14: Ch 2, hdc in next 3 sts, skip next st, [hdc in next 4 sts, skip next st] around, slip st in top of beginning ch – 36 (40, 44) sts. 

Round 15: Ch 2, hdc in next 2 sts, skip next st, [hdc in next 3 sts, skip next st] around, slip st in top of beginning ch – 27 (30, 33) sts. 

Round 16: Ch 2, hdc in next st, skip next st, [hdc in next 2 sts, skip next st] around, slip st in top of beginning ch – 18 (20, 22) sts. 

Round 17: Ch 2, skip next st, [hdc in next hdc, skip next hdc] around, slip st in top of beginning ch – 9 (10, 11) sts. 

Round 18: Sc in next 2 sts, skip next st, [sc in next 2 sts, skip next st] around, sc in next 0 (1, 2) sts, slip st in first st to join – 6 (7, 8) sts. 

Round 19: Working in a spiral manner, [sc in next sc, skip next sc] around until no sts remain. 

Fasten off. 

FINISHING
Asymmetric Brim
Row 1: With right side facing and larger hook, count 11 sts to left of first st on Round 1, sc in next 29 sc. 

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, skip 2 sc, sc in next sc and each sc across. 

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across to last st, skip last st. 

Rows 4-17: Repeat Rows 2-3. 

Row 18: Repeat Row 2.  Do not fasten off. 

Hat Edging
With wrong side facing, work sc evenly spaced along edge of Brim, hdc in each st along opposite edge of foundation ch to opposite edge of Brim, sc evenly spaced along opposite edge of Brim, sc in each st across Row 18, slip st in first st to join.
Fasten off. 

FLOWER
With color B, ch 4 (counts as ch 1 and one dc).  In first ch, dc 15.  slip st in top of ch 4.  fasten off.  total 16 dc
With color C, in top of ch 4 of previous row , *ch 10, sc in next st*, repeat around.  

Fold corner of brim up and mark placement for flower. Sew where marked.  Weave in ends. 
Abbreviations: A, B, C = Color A, B, C; ch = chain; dc = double crochet; hdc = half double crochet; mm = millimeters; sc = single crochet; st(s) = stitch(es); [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of neat ideas and love the coupons. I printed the hat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this pattern and I really want to try it, but for the life of me I can't understand what the hat edging instructions are telling me to do. I've researched this all night and I'm still confused. Could you help clarify it for me?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!