Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mod Podge Crayon Box


I have been MIA for a little while.  We have been spending time with visiting family from out-of-town and then the long holiday weekend took up more time, so I haven't been able to play with my crafts and blog too much.  But the holiday weekend is over, I'm pretty sad about that, and everyone has moved on to their next destination so now I'm back.  Posted below is my latest project.  :)



I made these little boxes for my granddaughters.  Although I made one for each of the girls to use however they wished, these could be used for anything--i.e.: hair barrettes, small toys, stationary, mail or, as I labeled my last box--crayons.  You name it...these boxes could probably hold it.

I found the unfinished wooden boxes at my local craft store.  They came as a set of three nested inside each other.  I took one look at them and decided they would be perfect for a Mod Podge project.  I love playing with Mod Podge, paper and paint.  You can do so much with it.

The items I used:
Paper (of your choice)
Paint (to match)
Mod Podge
Ribbon
Decorations
Cricut machine
Scissors
Hot glue
Pencil
Paint brush



1. Paint the inside bottom of the box and allow to dry. 
2. Paint the bottom outside of the box and allow to dry. 
3. Using my Cricut machine, I cut the paper to the size needed for the outside pieces.  That way I made sure I had correct sizes and straight lines.  My boxes had holes on each side for handles that I needed to also cut out. 
4. Mod Podge the paper onto the sides of the boxes.  Once dry, you can embellish them in any way you wish.

I cut names out with my Cricut in coordinating paper, and then I sponged those letters with the paint I used for the bottom of the each box.  Just to enhance the edges of the letters and make them pop off the paper a little.  The crayon box turned out the best.  I forgot to do the letters for the blue box and you can definitely see a difference there.

After gluing the words/names to the front of the box, I used some hot glue and tacked ribbon around the top edge to finish it off.  I also applied some cute little matching flowers. So what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. this is super cute! I've never used Mod Podge before but I have to make these adorable boxes of me 5 nieces.

    Here is my latest post:

    http://www.mrsgardengirl.blogspot.com/2013/03/hooked-on-crochetno-pun-intended.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these! So pretty and would be great for just about anything too! Thanks for sharing on We Made That!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!