Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Banana Nut Bread


Last weekend we had out-of-town company.  My husband's brother and sister-in-law stopped in for a visit.  They were on their way home after staying with their daughter and son-in-law through the delivery and recovery of their first child.  So for breakfast on Sunday morning, I decided to make a loaf of banana nut bread.  I didn't use a loaf pan (mine were already occupied) but it turned out okay with the pan I used.  Since it wasn't as thick as in a loaf pan, I had to adjust the cooking time a bit.  Here's the recipe and cooking times for the loaf pan.  Enjoy!


1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cups shortening
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 very ripe medium bananas)
2 eggs slightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.  Grease and flour loaf pan.  In large bowl, with fork, mix first 5 ingredients.


2. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.


3. With fork, stir in bananas and eggs just until blended; spread batter evening in pan.





4. bake 55 minutes to 1 hour until toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out cleans.

5. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on rack.


BANANA-NUT:  Prepare as above but add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts with banana.

6 comments:

  1. I love banana bread. I made a loaf this weekend and added chocolate chips!

    Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Just bookmarked the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by, I'm a new follower, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love banana nut bread! Thanks for stopping by my blog...happily following you back :)

    http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower from Monday Monkey Hop! Awesome recipe! Must make it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it. Following you back from Free eBooks Daily.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!