Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Caramel Corn Cookies

This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens 2010 Christmas Cookies magazine.  I know, I know who can think of Christmas cookies during the first week of June??  But a lot of these cookies are just good chocolatey yummy cookies.  No chocolate on these, however, they are supposed to match the taste of rich, buttery caramel corn.  I disagree...but they are very good.  So I'm going to share them here.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup miniature round caramel bits or butterscotch flavor pieces
1/2 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
Coarse sugar or turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the cookie sheet; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine shortening and butter.  Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.

Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt.  Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally.  Beat in egg, honey and vanilla until combined.  Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer. 

Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the carmel bits and peanuts.

Place coarse sugar in a small bowl.  Shape dough into 1 1/4 balls.  Roll balls in coarse sugar to coat.  Place balls about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are golden and edges are firm,  Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.  Make about 48 cookies.
To store:  Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover.  Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.





    Chefs Brand Banner

    4 comments:

    1. I'd love to make these!! They look so yummy. But some of the ingredients are kinda hard to find where we live so wish me luck! :-)

      Spanish Pinay

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm back and I have printed your recipe and went to each of the ingredients. I think I won't have problems with most of them but I am still checking on the following ingredients:

      1/2 cup shortening -- I cannot find one from the stores here but perhaps I can use margarine instead of shortening?
      1/2 cup yellow cornmeal -- I've heard that this is called polenta or sémoal de maiz and there might be specialty stores that sell this here so I still have to check around :)
      1 cup miniature round caramel bits or butterscotch flavor pieces -- this one may be a bit more complicated as I am not sure how it is translated in Spanish :-D But will check around some more.
      Coarse sugar or turbinado sugar - and last but not the least, this one... I am not sure what they are... can you describe it a little bit more? :-D

      Thanks sooo much!

      Spanish Pinay

      ReplyDelete
    3. I think we can solve this. I'll send you an e-mail.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi! I'm a new follower from the Weekend Blog Hop.

      Check out my website at http://www.yellowrosegiftsco.com

      ReplyDelete

    Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!