Thursday, February 10, 2011

French Macaroons

Happy Thursday everyone!  What better way to start your day then with a plate of pretty pink french macaroons?  But beware, the recipe for these yummy cookies is not for the novice...and unfortunately I didn't take step-by-by pictures of the actual cookie-making process for this post.  So sorry...

I learned how to make these cookies from a local culinary store where I took a class with a few of my friends.  It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.



The first item you need is a good scale to weigh all of your ingredients.  I purchased  mine from a local culinary store, it is manufactured by ADE in Germany.

 INGREDIENTS
Almond flound 300 g
Powdered sugar 300 g
Egg whites#1 110 g
Food coloring Tt
Granulated sugar 300 g
Water75 g
Egg whites #2 110g

METHOD:
1. Sift the powdered sugar and combine with the almond flour.
2. Stir in the first egg whites and food coloring by hand.  Cover with plastic wrap unitl ready to use.
3. Cook sugar and water to 118 degrees Celsius.
4. When sugar reachs 115 begin whipping egg whites.
5. Turn whites down to medium or low speed and pour in the sugar.
6. Return machine to high speed and whip until cool.
7. Add meringue to almond dough slowly.
8. Fill piping with #102 and 103 straight tip.
9. Pipe cookies roughly 1.5" in diameter roughly 1" apart. Hold the piping bag perpendicular to the sheet pan.
10. Let macaroons sit at room temperature uncovered for (at least 40 mins.) 1 hour.
11. Set black oven to 375 degrees.
12. Bake cookies for 10 minutes rotating half way through. Remove from oven and take cookies of sheet tray immediately.  Tip: @ 8 mins. open and close oven 3 times to give cookies air.
13. Store in freezer until ready to fill. Once filled store them in the refrigerator.

Yield: 72 cookies





You can fill these cookies with lots of different fillings/flavors.  That is what makes these cookies so yummy.  I used a wonderful Italian Buttercream.

ITALIAN BUTTERCREAM

Total prep time: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS
Egg whites 1/2lbs.
Sugar 1lb.
Butter 1 1/2lbs.

Measure egg whites

Measure sugar


METHOD:


1. Warm egg whites and sugar over a double boiler until warm to the touch and all of the sugar is dissolved.
2. Whip on high speed for 2-3 minutes. 

Lower to medium speed and whip until cool. 

The finished meringue should be shiny and smooth. 
3.Gradually add the soft butter with the mixer on medium-low speed.  Whip until smooth and light.
Flavor as desired.
Chocolate Buttercream: add 2.5 oz. chocolate
Hazelnut Buttercream: add 3 oz. praline paste, dash vanilla
Coffe Butttercream: add Sanka powder (2 packets dissolved with a small amount of hot water), dash of vanilla

Pipe inside cookies.









Sur La Table_Brand_468x60

28 comments:

  1. Thanks, Charro. And thanks so much for coming to visit me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you back from:
    http://madeofsnails.blogspot.com/

    Check out my other blog:
    http://staceylovesscents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG !!! They look really good, you would've laughed if you seen it my batch last week, they were not so good looking (I HATE MY OVEN) ...but they tasted really good (Jon ate them all) I really liked the color you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Italian cream was so yummy I could have grabbed a spoon and eaten it straight from the bowl. This is my new favorite filling. I have used it in a bunch of things, cupcakes, sugar cookies, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sandy! Following you from the Blog Hop at MBC... and I have to say that these ruin my diet just looking at them! They look SO good!! I'm NOT going to try them. I'd eat every one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know much about macaroons, but I love the tea set in the background.

    Following from the Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I love it also. It's Royal Albert Old Country Roses bone china. One of my favorite china patterns. Thanks for visiting/following me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yumm! I am always looking for new recipes.
    Following you from blog hop
    http://momsinvent.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look YUMMY and the bonus is they're PINK! Thanks for sharing. Found you on the Alexa hop. Matter of Cents

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look fabulous! Thanks for stopping by - have a fabulous week!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pics - they look great!

    Stopping by from the Alexa hop!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi, returned the favor and your blog is so cute, am following as well!

    Love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum! Thanks for stopping by Arizona Mama. I am returning the comment.

    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! They look delicious, and love the color! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! Hope your week is great!

    Aimee @
    justkiddingaroundatlanta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. ACK, all these food pictures I keep finding tonight!!! Need sugar lol
    Guest from the Alexa blog hop - hope you know how it all works ...
    my take is to visit everyone ... and then when you are done - go and visit them all again :)
    http://www.bywordofmouthmusings.com/2011/05/its-museless-and-not-amusing-but-it-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, those look so yummy! I don't think I've had anything like that before.
    I'm already a follower through GFC but I'm a new follower through Networked Blogs. I'm visiting from the Alexa Hop. I have a hop on my page as well if you'd like to link up, please do!

    www.adeliciousobsession.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! Thanks for the follow, I look forward to getting more great ideas from your blog!
    Zabrina
    Z's Space Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Can I just come over and eat the ones you made? LOL!
    Visiting back from the Alexa Hop! Thanks so much!!
    http://ourjacobsenfamily.blogspot.com/2011/05/adorable-quiet-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so yummy - almost too good to eat! I included you in my weekly Must List. xoStephanie
    Must List

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so pretty..and tasty!! I am pinning this picture :)

    XO Lindsay @ Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  21. These looks amazing. I am definitely a novice so I'll have to dream for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Monday! I wanted to thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new party is now up and I'd love for you to link up again :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. following you now on NWB! Thanks for loining up & sharing your lovely French Macaroons! I would love to try making these they looks so yummy! Need to get a scale & Come link up anytime! Linky is still up for adding in & starting a new in a week. Your site is so cute! Love it!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute! How fun to learn from a lass, too! Thanks so much for linking these up to What Makes You Say Mmmmm?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look great! I had no idea all the steps. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!