Saturday, July 7, 2012

Flat Apple Pie

I borrowed this recipe from the Pioneer Woman Cooks after I saw it on her Food Network show.  It is super easy and so YUMMY!   You'll love it.   I did take one short-cut.  Obviously, she handmade her pie crust, I used store bought.  It worked for me, although hers was probably much better.  :)



FLAT APPLE PIE
Ingredients
  • 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Pie Crust 
  • 6 tablespoons butter


Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In large bowl, stir together the apples, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, salt and lemon juice. Set aside.



Roll out pie crusts into large circles. If you think the bottom is really sticking to the surface below, use a nice, sharp spatula to loosen the dough and sprinkle some extra flour on top.  Again with a spatula, loosen and lift the dough and carefully place the circles on large baking sheets.




Place half the apple mixture on one crust and the other half on the other crust. Fold over the edges of each crust so that it covers 2 to 3 inches of the apple mixture. No need to be artistic - the more rustic the better. Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of the butter.





Bake until the filling is golden and bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminium foil for the remaining baking time. Allow to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter. And drizzle with caramel sauce.



EASY CARAMEL SAUCE
Ingredients:
  • 1 packed cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Directions:
Mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets thicker. Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off the heat, cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.










1

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That looks amazing! So gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You should share it at my party going on now at The "Sunday Stop"! I will be joining your party this week with more of my hard work! Hee Hee
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apple pie and always like to try new recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple Pie is my fave! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! I love the Pioneer Woman! Thanks for sharing this super yummy recipe that I just HAVE to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love apple pie, and this looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my page :) Love this recipe! Definitely have to give it a try, my hubby loves apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my page! Glad I found this recipe, need to make this for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love apple pie especially if it has a great crust! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious! I love apple pie! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So easy! I will definitely try this the next time I am in the mood for a good apple pie. Thanks for linking up at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post your thoughts or comments here. And thanks so much for stopping by!